Monday, October 22, 2007

In less than two months, Hector (severe macaw) has gone from this: to this:
It might be a little difficult to see in this picture, but we wanted to emphasize his playfulness! He came to us a sad, scared macaw that didn't have perches or toys. He didn't know how to perch on perches in his new cage with us, or on people's arms. He'd just hang off of the side of his cage. And even though that's what he's doing in the above picture, he has learned how to perch and does it often!

His feathering has greatly improved from his new diet, and he is keeping his beak trim by playing with toys. Look at all of the wood that he has been chipping!
Here he is, eating some apple. I have not yet met a severe macaw that didn't love to eat red apples!

As we've come to get to know Hector over the past few months, his personality is really starting to shine through. Can you tell that I absolutely love this guy since I keep writing about him? Anyway, we are looking for that perfect forever home for him. He needs a lot of individual attention and an understanding owner since severe macaws tend to be beaky and difficult to live with. He hasn't had the best background, which will take patience and understanding to overcome. But, that special person will be rewarded with fierce loyalty and the devotion of an intelligent, humorous being that is searching for routine and stability in his life.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How is Hector doing? I adopted my severe macaw, Sparky, about 9 years ago, and I knew macaws were challenging but that's what I love about them! He is my first and only bird, and I can't imagine ever getting another because Sparky keeps my hands full but I love his larger-than-life personality. He likes certain people, but I am happy to say that he is not a "one person bird," but will respect and love those who can handle him and be a gentle "flock leader" to him. It makes me smile to read your description of mini macaws, and it's true that they are difficult, but they have their soft side when they like to cuddle and just hang out. I love that Sparky is outgoing and bold and will assert his opinion of everything- people, objects, situations. I really hope Hector finds a wonderful home that appreciates his "macawism."

centerforavianrehab said...

Thanks for the comment! We worked with another rescue to place Hector into a home that had recently lost their severe macaw. He is doing well.

He really is a special bird and we were lucky to get to know him!

While they are fantastic birds (mine makes me laugh every day) they definitely are not for everyone. Congrats on your great relationship with Sparky. He's a lucky guy!