Monday, November 16, 2009

Niko Update

Over the past year and a half, we've occasionally posted updates about Niko, a senegal parrot who was surrendered to us in deplorable conditions. Here are those posts.

We are very happy to report that Niko found a wonderful forever home! Here is what his new family wrote to us:

Niko gets to see a nice variety of weather out his window. He has a very large cage. It is 30 inches wide and 20 inches deep, and 36 inches tall, plus it sits on a stand, so the top of the cage is at 61 inches tall. He gets to look out a sliding glass door and loves all the birds at the feeders in the back yard.

He still plucks his feathers and looks mostly like down. Mid-Summer he actually let all of his feathers grow back, just like a senegal should look. He was really beautiful!!!! I should have taken photos of him then, but I guess I thought he'd stay that way. Towards later summer he plucked them out again. I don't care though as long as he's happy.

He has a lot of perches and boings to climb on. I did this especially since he doesn't have feathers in his wings to fly, so he climbs around. He is a really good eater and
I love giving him a variety of seeds and nuts. You're right in that he loves almonds!!

He has his daily schedule of things to do for the day as well. First thing in the morning, he is very sleepy when I take his cover off his cage. His head is down like he's praying his morning prayers. So cute. Soon he's bright eyed and bushy tailed and making what I call his morning calls. He calls out to the birds outside perhaps. He makes the house very cheery in the morning. I really love hearing his morning chirps and tweets (and some screechy notes thrown in) as he's just so happy!! A couple times during the day he likes to nap.

When I come home, he sees me through the glass and usually greets me with a certain call that sounds like a couple trucks screeching to a halt, and I really love that as well. I come right over to his cage to greet him properly as well!!

My mother has moved in with me as she started with mild ahlzeimers, and she loves him as well. I also have 2 dogs, a basset hound and a shih tzu. So the bird and dogs keep her busy when I'm at work. When I come home, she always has some stories about all that went on during the day, and often it's Niko she talks about.

At night, he loves to watch TV with us and especially likes the noisy parts of the shows and especially music. He loves to add his notes and it's really funny to listen to him and how happy he is being part of the nightly entertainment!! ha!!

My step nephew and neices came up with the nick name of "Firecracker" as that's just what he sounded like they said. That fits him also.

So, I wanted to let you know all is well with little Niko. He is happy and well in his new forever home, and, he is most certainly loved here and thoroughly enjoyed!!!

Hope this finds you well and doing good also.

Thanks for taking such good care of him before us.

Blessings.... and a BIG THANK YOU to you from NIKO !!!!


We LOVE getting reports like these. It's what makes everything worth it. When we first met him, he was terrified and we could not get the smell of cigarette smoke off of him. His foster home did a wonderful job of getting him to trust people again, which ultimately paved the way for him to finally find happiness.

What a great report!

No comments: